Cami's Reviews > The Woman in White

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Dec 12, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read from September 18 to November 12, 2011

Intrigue, mystery, romance, matched with beautifully crafted & interesting characters and plus an exciting page-turning plot all makes for one of my favorite books to date. Seriously...amazing! This was the first book to make me laugh & cry. I fell in love with Walter Hartright - never have I read of such a gentleman-like character. Marian Halcombe is a brilliant light of unique wit & strength with a dash of common woman intuition and emotion. I was impressed by the depth each character possessed - whether you loved or hated them, each character was intriguing in their own way. The plot keeps you guessing and turning the pages to find out what happens next. A masterpiece of a novel and yet one you don't always hear about. I definitely recommend this book and feel a little disappointed that it hasn't been made into a movie yet. You're even intrigued from the very beginning by the opening sentence: "This is the story of what a Woman's patience can endure, and what a Man's resolution can achieve." Enjoy!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman in White.

10/08/2011 page 56
show 6 hidden updates…

Samara ah! i am not going to finish it in time... but i am going to finish it! haha

Cami Samara wrote: "ah! i am not going to finish it in time... but i am going to finish it! haha"

you have another month! ;) you can do it Samara!

Samara I also have 4 other novels to read and 3 papers to write... so I don't think I'll get through the 500 pages I have left of The Woman in White no matter how badly I want to =\ But I can't wait to finish it!

Cami Samara wrote: "I also have 4 other novels to read and 3 papers to write... so I don't think I'll get through the 500 pages I have left of The Woman in White no matter how badly I want to =\ But I can't wait to fi..."

oh okay oh okay, I guess school is important ;) You will LOVE it Samara!

Karen According to IMDB.com, there was a movie made in 1997. Of course there was the one made in 1948 (B&W) but they butchered it so much it's not even worth watching.
I'm so glad to read that someone else thinks Walter Hartright is as awesome as I think he is. He's right up there with Mr. Darcy, Arthur Clennam and John Thornton. No, I don't see what he sees in Laura (I'm not a man) but finding himself in love, he stays in love, even though he never even hopes that one day she might be his. You've got to give him credit for his fidelity. And his persistence. And his ingenuity. And his running skills! And his inability to let his mortal enemy die in a burning building. His virtues are practically limitless, though I never saw him as a goody-two-shoes. He struggled at times, he got angry but yet he overcame and did the right thing. I am, and always will be, on team Hartright!