Jon's Reviews > The Next Story: Life and Faith After the Digital Explosion

The Next Story by Tim Challies

Jun 07, 11

Read from April 18 to May 21, 2011

Thinks hard on an area of life that is often blindly stumbled into. Addressed nagging thoughts that I was afraid to pursue.

Gospel-centered approach to technology. Call it a "Gospel Primer for The Millenial Age."

Great balance that steers clear of Amish Neo-Luddism and total lighthouse consumerism. It helps that Tim is a programmer blogger Pastor designer. :) Kinda like me.

Historical and researched approach to the impact of the digital age. Timelined the story of the digital explosion in a concise and engaging way.

Creative illustrations and personal stories frame in the solid content.

Incredible chapter addressing the flank attack on our assumptions of truth via google's relevant model and wiki's consensus model. This was my favorite and the most convicting part of the book.

Humbly honest. Felt like Tim was a fellow soldier in the fight for a God-focused life amid the inevitable tech world

Defined and addressed the root problems inherent in the human condition. In other words technology reveals our Idolatry, mediated worship, autonomous self-sufficiency, frivolous triviality, selfishness, lack of discipline, etc.

Loved this read. Felt solid and long. Was worth my money and would buy it again after reading. Was consistently amazed at the meat (referenced historical applied data) in the book. My highlights will come in handy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Story.

04/18/2011
05/06/2011
53.0% "just finished a great chapter on community and "media"tion. We as image bearers long for the unmediated relationship with God and others. Because of the fall, everything is mediated. Nothing is immediate or free from mediation (although that is technology's goal.) Only in open full-disclosure relationships in the gospel can we reconstruct what has been broken in the fall. Great stuff."
05/17/2011
81.0% "great chapter on the moorings of truth in the digital age based on the models of wiki and search engine. We are being trained by our media that truth is what is determined by consensus (wikipedia) and what is most relevant (google)."
show 4 hidden updates…