Adam's Reviews > Sons

Sons by Pearl S. Buck

May 20, 11

This felt like a natural continuation of The Good Earth. The writing was very similar and it was about characters that were at least mentioned in the first book. I found it a little disjointed how in the beginning of the book it was all about Wang the Landlord and Wang the Merchant but suddenly became all about Wang the Tiger. It's really his book and most of the book is about him pining for a son, or being disappointed in a son, or jealous of his son thus the title I guess. It is also about how Wang the Tiger gets really lucky, really depressed, then really complacent. He doesn't seem to see that his complacency is probably not going to help him. The end did feel sudden but there is one more book to go in the series so I expected that. I think in the end you only really like Pear Blossom although she is hardly mentioned. I could sympathize with Wang the Tiger a lot though becaus although he shows a terrible demeanor he is soft hearted in many instances. I look forward to seeing what happens with him and his son in the next book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sons.