Heather Pearson's Reviews > Reign Check

F 50x66
Apr 18, 11

Recommended to Heather by: Shannon
Read in March, 2011, read count: 1

My daughter had received this as a review copy. I borrowed it from her shelf. This is definitely a YA novel, but it has enough depth to the main characters to keep an older reader involved.

It was just one week since sixteen year old Nikki had found out that she was a demon and that her father is the demon king of the Shadowlands. This means that Nikki is a princess. Not the kind of pressure that a high school girl needs. Thankfully she has a wonderful friend Melinda at her side. To complicate matters, Rhys, the king of the Faery realm, has just enrolled at her school. Even though she already has a boyfriend, who lives in her father's kingdom, Nikki is oddly attracted to Rhys yet loathes him at the same time.

I enjoyed this story from the first pages. I didn't feel confused by not having read the first book in the series: Demon Princess: Reign or Shine, though I do want to go and purchase it for my daughter (I won't be allowed to read it until she has done so). Nikki and Melinda come across as true friends. Melinda is part of the 'in' crowd, but she doesn't dump Nikki when urged to do so by the rest of that crowd. All the interaction between Rhys and Nikki comes with double meanings. While they know that each of them live in two different worlds, no one else at the school does. What a challenge to keep stories straight for them.

I am not sure that I trust Michael, the boyfriend from the Shadowlands. He's a shadow and we don't really learn much about them. He is also distrustful of Rhys's intentions and keeps an eye on him. yes, jealousy even in the otherworld. At this time I am leaning toward Team Rhys.

A number of questions are answered by the close of this book, but there a few biggies left dangling. There must be a third book in the works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reign Check.