Heavensent1's Reviews > Contingency

Contingency by Paula Wiseman

May 29, 2011

liked it
Read from May 17 to 22, 2011

Contingency: A Novel is book one in the Covenant of Trust series.

Bobbi Molinsky, a grade school teacher, leads a wonderful and comfortable life. She has a husband she adores, two wonderful sons, a beautiful home, wonderful friends and family. Bobbi is living the dream, until the day she receives an email that had somehow bounced from her husbands email account. Opening that email brings her world shattering down around her. Her husband of eighteen years has cheated on her.

Chuck Molinsky is an up and coming junior lawyer who believes he needs all the pomp and show that goes with being a successful lawyer and that includes a certain image, he buys himself a BMW, he wears designer clothing and he is sexually attracted to his new under associate. Chuck walks right into Tracey Ravenna's black widow trap and he succumbs to her machinations and becomes obsessed with having her. She has become a drug to him and he believes he can have his cake and eat it to. Until the day he receives the call from Bobbi, and he realizes the choices he has made thus far, have been all wrong and he has strayed from the path he once wanted for himself and his family.

Tracey Ravenna is the gorgeous thirty year old redhead who practices law, and is quite impressive and most career orientated. Seeking the same in a man, especially one as prestigious as Chuck, she works her primal sexual nature to weave a web that he is sure to be caught up in.

Phil Shannon is the minister who keeps Chuck and Bobbi on the correct path to redemption and salvation. Through the grace of God, the two search themselves and each other to come to the right choice for everyone involved. Bobbi has severe trust issues and it doesn't look like Chuck is going to get a second chance. Will Phil find the right words to make their marriage work or will divorce be the only outcome??

I liked Bobbi, even in her weakest moments, she never gave in and held on to her beliefs. To accept someone who has dishonoured your trust in them, takes a lot of soul searching and reflections. Trust is the easiest thing to break and the hardest to build upon. I am glad that Bobbi was strong enough for herself even when it seemed everyone around her felt she should give Chuck a break. I liked the intrigue concerning Tracey and wondering what her game is/was. I also enjoyed how the bible and God were used in the healing process, and we are reminded that God has a plan for each of us and sometimes we don't always understand the goals or the reasons, we have to accept, through faith in God, that it will all work out in the end.

I didn't like that the book needed to use expletives, even though they were very few in number, I felt they didn't even need a place in the book and truly disappointed and surprized me when I read them. There weren't expected and took a shine off the story for me.

I thought the author did a very good job of Bobbi's growth and I would've liked to have seen more of Chuck's growth, it was touched upon several times but for the most part the reader is left guessing how Chuck is coming along. All in all though, the book was a very enjoyable read, with enough to keep you turning the pages. Paula Wiseman is a very good character writer, and her back stories are placed in the book at just the right intervals. I am quite looking forward to the next book in the series, it was an easy and enjoyable read, with strong characters and good plot flow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Contingency.