Brett Tompkins's Reviews > Season of the Machete

Season of the Machete by James Patterson

Apr 19, 11

Read from April 18 to 19, 2011

Simply dreadful. I read a bunch of reviews on this book and none of them were very good, so I can't say I wasn't warned. But like so many others, I am a completist, and I can't read all of Patterson's books without reading the bad ones as well. I don't know exactly why this book was so bad; it was just boring. There were times when I had read 20 pages and could not remember a single word, but I had planned out my entire evening. The character development was almost non-existent. About 150 pages into the book I was asking myself, "who the hell is Peter?!" Turns out he was one of the main characters.
This is the third of Patterson's first books that I have read, and two out of the three were terrible. The other one was re-released 10 years later so maybe it was revised to make it good? I'm beginning to wonder whether it was experience that made his novels better, or when he started letting other authors write for him? I'm sure glad I only paid a quarter for this book at the library book sale. On the good side, I've got this one out of the way and I can now say I've read it.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Season of the Machete.

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 1 star

Kim Loved your review of this because, because I felt exactly the same way! And I am a completist too, even to the point of having to start at the beginning of an author's career and go forward from there.

Brett Tompkins I do the same thing. Especially if it's a series, even though most of them can stand alone, I can't stand to start in the middle. Haha. I've been trying to break out of that though because I've found myself stuck in the 80s and it ends up taking me forever to read anything that is current. Kind of nice to read stuff where the good guys have a cell phone to call for help;) Thanks for you comment:)

Charlie Agree!! And he has few bad ones out there, typically it is the same second author that I do not like but this one is a new one for me.

message 4: by Eva-lynn (new)

Eva-lynn Dellaguardia I had to restart reading this book 3x's, never could finish it. The story line seemed to be all over the place. Very hard to keep track of events. I did not like this book. Very disappointed.