Grace's Reviews > Sir Quinlan and the Swords of Valor

Apr 18, 11

bookshelves: for-review, only-once, religious
Read in April, 2011

Story summary
This story is possibly set in a medieval setting. It is hard to tell, really, as some descriptions are inaccurate. A young man by the nickname of Twitch and his best friend and foster brother, Tav, are training to be knights. The knights are trained to serve in the prince's army.

Twitch makes a vow to serve the prince, and suddenly the world mystical veil parts and he is shown a glimpse of a war that is raging between the prince's army and Lord Lucius's dark knights. It is a rather schizophrenic view, really, as supposedly no one else can see these agents of evil lurking and looming about the world until they attack. But, pledge yourself to the prince's will, and you can see it.

Supposedly the world of the prince's, which is possibly not the same world as reality, is both glorious and dangerous. However, the author only ever describes it as terrible and dangerous, which really makes me wonder why he tossed the word glorious in in the first place. Perhaps he thinks that a world of war is a glorious one? That is a depressing thought.

Characters
The characters are rather flat all in all. The main character Twitch/Quinlan is the only one to show any dynamic change, and it is very, very subtle. The rest of the characters seemed scripted and forced. I just couldn't get into it much because of the character, and the near lack of dynamic relationships between the characters.

The characters are really vessels for a series of Christian messages, not for a tale worth reading for the general populace.

Thoughts
There were several things I didn't like about this book, but on the other hand, it was fairly action packed and had somewhat engaging battle scenes. If there weren't battles, the story felt far more forced than it could have been.

As this was a book written for the youth/teen Christian group, I think it hit that mark. Many youths will enjoy this book. Teens? I don't know. I taught at a middle school, and the 13-year olds read far more advanced stuff than this. Then again, this was at a public school, and I don't know how interests and reading levels vary. Maybe youths to preteens would be the best group for this book, but definitely not 15 and up.

For those that are interesting in having this book for a reading discussion, there are several questions in the back of the book to help direct it. All of the questions pertain to parts of the bible that were illustrated in various parts of the book.

**Disclaimer**
I received this book from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group. I am under no obligation to write a positive review, just an honest one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sir Quinlan and the Swords of Valor.