Starasia's Reviews > Harry, a History: The True Story of a Boy Wizard, His Fans, and Life Inside the Harry Potter Phenomenon

Harry, a History by Melissa Anelli

Dec 06, 11

Read from December 02 to 06, 2011

Inititally, I was frustrated with the way the author wrote the first chapter. I thought she was a little too precious with her insider name dropping and references and the way she waited 8 whole pages to reveal something she mentioned in the first sentence. C'mon, this isn't an Agatha Christie novel. I threw it down and was gonna return it to the library, but the next day, the Potterphile in me picked it up again. This time I started with JK Rowling's preface, and since I cannot get enough of anything she writes, I was immediately hooked.

Since I am a Potter purist (if Ms. Rowling didn't write it or have a hand in it, I am not interested; okay, that's not entirely true--I LOVE the HP Puppet Pals!), I have never felt the need to troll the fan websites; in fact, I was clueless about how much of it is out there. In that respect this book was revealing: Fanfiction, "Shipping," HP rock groups, & more. Who knew? I still don't have the need to go there, but I cannot wait for Pottermore.com!!

So there were some chapters I kind of skimmed, but I really learned a lot of facts. I was one who still actually thought she wrote the initially chapter on a napkin! And I was really interested by the Laura Mallory banning campaign. I always knew that there were some religious people who thought the series promoted witchcraft, but I didn't know the whole deal.

So, afterall, this book gets a definite four stars because it is well-written and fascinating, but I gave it an extra star because it was so fun to read about my friend Cheryl Klein who, like she said, is all over this book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry, a History.

dateDown_arrow    newest »