Jaja Borja-Laure's Reviews > We Beat the Street: How a Friendship Pact Led to Success

We Beat the Street by Sampson Davis

Apr 21, 11

bookshelves: memoir
Read on April 17, 2011 — I own a copy

I finished reading this book in a jiffy. This book is very straightforward, very easy to love and, most of all, very friendly to my almond-shaped peepers! Even a fourth grader will appreciate this!

It tells the story of three colored (hope I'm politically correct) kids living in a challenging environment in New Jersey. These things are common in their daily grind: drugs, peer pressure, street crimes, cop sirens and other things often found in gangster movies. While most kids their age lived in a nurturing environment, they lived in constant fear that they may end up beaten black and blue or locked up in jail or even killed. The horrors of a dark street are endless. They have all the ingredients of being potential jail residents, but they proved us readers wrong.

Those three kids were born smart. Despite their negative peers, they have strong family values which helped them triumph. They aspire to do better, get good grades and school recognition and bag that much-coveted college scholarships.

In a twist of fate, these three found themselves in a brilliant college crowd and mingled with competitive people. To cut the long story (it's quite short, really) short, they became doctors. After earning their medical degrees, they returned to their respective communities and served the people. They made their folks and community proud and exceeded the expectations of their own society.

Very inspiring!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Beat the Street.