Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > Past Perfect

Past Perfect by Leila Sales

Oct 07, 2011

bookshelves: ya, oct11, contemporary, humor
Read from October 03 to 04, 2011

Past Perfect is a contemporary novel in the broadest sense, considering it takes place in the present day, but much of it is in 1774 and then a century later during the Civil War. Chelsea’s job as a historical reenactor is hilarious, especially because of the War her coworkers have with the Civil War reenactors across the street. War strategy, planting of historically inaccurate objects (phones!), and a little romance make Leila Sales sophomore novel a winner.

Sales has a talent with humor and Chelsea – historical name: Elizabeth Connelly – is funny. Her interactions with her parents, particularly with her talker of a father, had me giggling. The drama within Essex is unbelievable (in a good way) because these teens get so into their jobs. The War and the historical reenactment bring about some new words too; my favorite being ‘farbs,’ which is an insult towards the reenactors. I just want to run around giving dirty looks and calling people farbs now.

The story focuses mostly on Chelsea and, surprisingly, not too much on her love life. It’s more about her; growing up and moving on. Sure, Chelsea has an ex-boyfriend and things are complicated and painful between them, and now there’s Dan and all the complications of liking a Civil Warrior, but really, it’s more about Chelsea learning from the past and living in the present. Sales’ writing of Chelsea and her situation is witty and intelligent. Everything with the War and all the historical information is absorbing. On top of that is a cast of supporting characters that are endlessly entertaining with their one liners and dedication to the War.

Past Perfect is another wondrously amusing and charming book from Leila Sales, and even though I was sold on it before, now I know there won’t be a book by Sales that I won’t love. She gives us delightful characters, witty dialogue, comical situations, and romance that is both sweet and alluring. It would be incredibly difficult to not love this book and I can’t recommend it enough. Leila Sales is contemporary force to be reckoned with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Past Perfect.