Malena Watrous's Reviews > Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef

Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton

Apr 17, 11

I was impressed by the prose in this book, and also a little amazed that someone could be so observant and have such an interesting way of seeing and putting things, and also possess so little insight into her feelings or those of others. Intelligent but not intuitive. Sensitive but not empathetic. Able to describe a setting or a dish beautifully, less so when it came to the twists and turns of her moods or her life. I found myself baffled by the structure of the book, because it seems to begin with her earliest childhood memories and then end...three days ago...or the moment she got a publishing contract... I feel like she could have taken a tip from Ruth Reichl and contained this memoir within a period of her life, or made it more thematically coherent. All that said, she really is a beautiful writer, on a sentence level, and a good story teller too.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood, Bones, and Butter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Conan (new)

Conan Putnam I checked this book out at the library and kept it in my kitchen, thumbing through, dipping in and out when I had time. I agree, there was lots of startling prose. Though introspection isn't her strong suit, she's a stylist, for sure. But when I came to that hatchet job on the mom, when Gabrielle and her husband take their little boy to Vermont for a weekend, I was turned off.