Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > Broken Harbor

Broken Harbor by Tana French

Aug 18, 12

bookshelves: all-fiction, europe-and-british-isles, cops-and-pee-eyes, miss-trees
Read in August, 2012

Netterooski's Top Five Suggestions For Alternate Titles:

The Critter In the Crawlspace
A Rodent In the Rafters
The Monitor Murders
Paddy's Pretend Pet?
Video Vermin

If you've read the book, the above needs no explanation. If you haven't yet read it, prepare yourself for obsessive coverage of animal behavior.
38 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Harbor.

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura This may be my favorite series at the moment.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" I'm looking forward to this one. My libe is slow with new books, so I won't get it till sometime in August.
You crack me up, Laura, when you say you could marry her books. :-D

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I could! And her, too!!

message 4: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I may buy this, take it on vaca too lol.

message 5: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline Another totally new author for me! Where have I been living all these years? I particularly love the title Video Vermin. I used to own 2 rats called Custard and Rookie, and am pretty smitten with these critters. Will this enhance or detract from my reading experience?

message 6: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline Ye gods, the list of reservations at the library is about six foot long!

message 7: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Bah, so not as good as The Likeness? I'm so bummed. This is why I don't buy books until after I've read them (normally). Why did I buy the HB of this??? :(

message 8: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Caroline, this is a brilliant series, but I've only read the first two. I can highly recommend them.

message 9: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline Laura wrote: "Caroline, this is a brilliant series, but I've only read the first two. I can highly recommend them."
Thanks Laura - I just can't believe I have never heard of her before....

message 10: by Jeanette (last edited Aug 08, 2012 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Caroline, Start with In The Woods. Broken Harbor is the 4th in the series. If you find you don't like In The Woods, skip it and move right on to The Likeness, which is the best in the series and stands on its own just fine.

Laura, There's a lot to like in this one, which is why I rounded up. But no, not as good as The Likeness. There's not much snappy dialogue.
One of the murder victims had an obsession with animal noises he was hearing in the attic and the walls, and there is way too much space devoted to the topic. (And no, Caroline, this won't detract from your reading experience.)

message 11: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline As noted elsewhere - thanks so much for you help!

Bettie☯ I'll take the PPP option
:O)

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol Oh, you are sneaky and now I want to be in the know.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Heh heh. Carol, It wasn't my intention to be cagey, I promise. This is just the kind of goofy thing I do when I don't want to write a proper review. If you look at message 10 in this comment thread, that will probably be enough to keep you from feeling left out. :-)

Julie My reaction exactly! I really liked this book but I was really, really sick of reading about minks!

Colleen Maclennan Agree, really liked the book , but all that animal ramblings were getting monotonous.