Billy's Reviews > Peter and the Starcatchers

Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry

M_50x66
Mar 05, 08

Read in March, 2008

Pulitzer Prize winning humorist Dave Barry, best selling mystery writer Ridley Pearson, and illustrator Greg Call have combined their talents to create a series of prequels to the J.M. Barrie classic Peter Pan. This is the first of those stories.

Let me start my little review by saying that this book is so fun, exciting, and enjoyable that I have completely forgotten (almost) the creepy feeling I felt as a 42 year old man wandering around the children's section of the library looking for it.

Yes it's a children's book, make fun of me if you want, but it's not like I was breathlessly turning the pages to find out what would happen if Grover encountered a monster at the end of the book. At over 450 pages it follows the trend set by the Harry Potter books.... The story is equally satisfying for both kids and adults that grew up with these legendary characters, and thick enough that kids can do serious damage to the child predators that lurking around every corner (at least according to NBC's "Dateline"). The type is a little larger for the younger readers, but not so big that adults will be embarrassed.

Have you ever wondered...
How an orphan from England learned to fly, never grow old, make his home on a deserted island, and become everybody's favorite peanut butter pitchman?

How the most feared ambidextrous pirate on the high seas became the infamous embodiment of one handed evil (second only to the drummer for Def Leppard).

How that annoying little fairy wound up living on Neverland? I mean Tinkerbell, not Michael Jackson.

All these questions are answered, and more.

Seriously, this is an excellent book, and I will definitely be slinking my way back to that room in the library with the little tables and chairs so that I can continue following the adventures of Peter and his cohorts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peter and the Starcatchers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nadia As a young girl, I can't emagine why anybody wouldn't like this book. The plot is a little late in coming in but I like how they tie everything in with the original Peter Pan. How the authors explain everything in a easy to understand kind of way is very inspiring to a girl who would like to be an author when she grows up. I think any future authors would enjoy this book (or anyone for that matter). And every time you turn the page, excitement and thrilling adventures wait around the bend. While I was reading this, I would be so engrossed in it that I wouldn't hear anyone if they were talking to me that's how good it was.

The authors orgonized the danger and events so that you didn't have too much at one time and too little in between. And they didn't put any useless conversation in. Everything a person said tied something in or had a point to make.All in all the whole book was great and I absolutely loved it.

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie Your review literally made me laugh out loud! I have this book on my shelf and have never once read it. Upon your review that will definitely change! :)

message 3: by Cheryl A (new)

Cheryl A You must visit my library, so that I can finally say to an adult in the kid's section "Are you looking for yourself or a child?" and not get a dirty look!! Great review on a great book.

Anna Mcelwee This review made me laugh! I totally can relate to it!

Kiersten HAHAHA! Clever, clever... I loved all your obscure references- from "Grover" to "peanut butter!" As an adult who loves children and YA books and a person who appreciates a bit of sass- I salute you and your review, good sir!