Scott Fuchs's Reviews > The Fall of the House of Walworth: A Tale of Madness and Murder in Gilded Age America

The Fall of the House of Walworth by Geoffrey O'Brien

Jun 10, 11

Read on April 01, 2011

Solidly ! uninteresting non-ficton
Considering that the motives leading up to a murder and the event itself are wrapped up by page 16, this would be the logical place to end the book. Instead we are subjected to 275 pages more, with next to no information other than what we have read up to page 16.
These remaiing pages are filled with many writings of the victim, where one alone would suffice. Even more irritating are the pages and pages of s-t-r-e-t-c-h.
I stuck this through to the end, expecting a plot twist or 'shocking' revelation that never happened and hoping that there would be some detailed historic points of reference. Marginally there were a few of these; very few.
To the publisher's credit I was indeed suckered into purchasing this based on both the title and subtitle, the latter being "A tale of madness and murder in Gilded Age America".
I can find no reason to read [or publish] this book.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall of the House of Walworth.

04/08/2011 page 243

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Kathleen I wish I had read this review before I purchased and started the book. It might be the most accurate book review in the history of Internet book reviews.

Gwen - Chew & Digest Books - and while I had sympathy for both the mother and son in the beginning, I grew to pretty much despise everyone at the end.