Tara's Reviews > How to Cook Everything Vegetarian

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman

Jun 04, 11

Read on April 17, 2011

Every decade or so a cookbook comes out that every good cook must add to their library, and this absolutely falls into that category. My sister Gia insisted I get this book; she just bought How To Cook Everything by Bittman, but clearly knew this choice would be more to my liking.

Like ancient favorites (Joy of Cooking, Better Homes & Gardens bible) it has endless recipes of old - and tons of vegan and/or ethnic new choices that have been updated for vegetarians. The recipes are healthier, many are low-fat, and reflect a cruelty-free lifestyle most vegetarians are striving to achieve.

Tonight Chris made Bittman's Macaroni and Cheese basic recipe. I make this often as it is a family favorite, based on my mother's recipe; however, Bittman manages to keep it just as good with 1/2 the butter! I look forward to trying so many new recipes this year (tried the Socca made with chickpea flour recently - a huge hit for a crowd that including mostly non-veggies and a few gluten-free eaters!)I just bought this hardcover book on Amazon for $20 - what a deal!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Cook Everything Vegetarian.