David's Reviews > The Narrows

The Narrows by Michael Connelly

Apr 19, 11

Read from April 17 to 19, 2011

This is another excellent effort by Michael Connelly, with some imperfections that, for me, put it short of five stars. Terry McCaleb, the protagonist of "Blood Work", is dead, and his widow asks Harry Bosch to look into his death. Bosch ultimately agrees, and his pursuit of an explanation ends up with him on the trail of the villian of a past Connelly book, although this is new for Bosch. As always, the plot is advanced logically and thoughfully, keeping the reader turning the pages.

Those who are familiar with the Michael Connelly "universe" will be pleased to find old friends from past books popping up throughout the story. It is worth reading Connelly's book in the order written for this reason. Connelly also likes to have fun with the reader, by mixing reality in with the fiction, and having fictional characters interact with real life. For instance, Clint Eastwood appears very tangentially in the plot. Also, the character Buddy does not like the way he was portrayed in Blood Work! (Connelly having a laugh at how Clint Eastwood changed his book). Also, there is a funny line in which Bosch thinks that George Pelecanos' book, "Nick's Trip" must have been written 150 years ago because it is a rare book.

There is a lot of commentary on being a parent, which was revealed in the previous book, most likely flowing from Connelly's own experience. Some readers may like this, I felt that there was a bit much, but it does humanize Bosch and make him a more real character.

Some minor negatives: some of the clues seem a bit weak and Bosch seems to leap to conclusions because "there are no coincidences". Also, there is a next-door neighbor in a hotel that is a loose end or that I missed. The most glaring negative for me, was the switching back and forth from the first person, for Bosch, then going to the third person for everyone else. It was distracting, and did not gain Connelly much, in my view.

On the whole, though, this is another winner and will keep me moving on to "The Closers".
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Narrows.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Fred Clifford Yes, I agree, what was up with the neighbor?