Meghan's Reviews > The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre

The Best of H.P. Lovecraft by H.P. Lovecraft

F_50x66
May 15, 11

Read from April 17 to May 15, 2011

This book was recommended by a friend when I mentioned that I was eager to read a sampling of Lovecraft, and I'm glad I gave it a try. I have to admit, I left about five stories unread at the end of the collection simply because Lovecraft's horror formula does tend to get a little repetitive after a while, but I have no doubt that I will one day go back and finish those last stories.

Of the pieces I did read, "Rats in the Walls" was probably my favorite while the Cthulu story, though fun, didn't have the same chill factor for me as some of the other stories in the book.

Overall, this is a solid collection for anyone interested in seeing the origin of many key elements in modern horror storytelling. One warning - try reading only one or two stories at a time and then coming back to it after reading something different for a bit, just to avoid getting weighed down by the aforementioned formula.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best of H.P. Lovecraft.