Mark's Reviews > Survival of the Sickest: A Medical Maverick Discovers Why We Need Disease

Survival of the Sickest by Sharon Moalem

M_50x66
Apr 17, 11

bookshelves: health-and-science
Read in March, 2011

I wish Moalem would have taught my Genetics 101 class, he did a much better job than my professor. This is definitely more of a book to make you ooh and ahh, which is to say that its not very scientific.

Moalem would be shot dead by anyone who believed in logic. The man seems to love a good conspiracy, and he's great at telling them. I'm not saying that he's wrong all the time, but the way that this book could be written, in a less persuasive way, would be:

There's a 20% chance that A is true; A is true. That A leads to B is possible with a 12% confidence. B is true. A+B = C, with 4% confidence, but, well, we're already this far!, C must be true as well! And so on, down the alphabet. I gave up being annoyed just because the stories were actually really Scientific American!

Turn your brains off for this one, and enjoy. It's for the masses, not for science.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Survival of the Sickest.