Megan's Reviews > Of Blood and Honey

Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leicht

Apr 17, 11

bookshelves: 4-stars, fiction, historical-fiction, paranormal-and-supernatural
Read in April, 2011

Edited: To correct a character's name. I'm bad with names and can't read my own notes, apparently!

Edited again: So, adding this a year later than my initial review! Other people's responses to this book have opened my eyes to some fairly ugly aspects to this book that I in my ignorance didn't notice let alone comprehend. It was pretty obtuse and disappointing of me to not recognize some stock examples of problematic representation, even if I'm not as familiar with Irish history specifically. This review provides an immensely thoughtful analysis of the issues that I was ignorant of and will keep in mind if I reread this book or continue with the series.

====

While I love good supernatural/paranormal/urban fantasy stories, I've never really understood the appeal of fairies (the fae, the good folk, etc., etc.) and lacked the mythological background to conceptualize them as something other than, say, Tinker Bell (who is awesome, don't get me wrong), or the fairies from A Midsummer Night's Dream (who I just find irritating). I'd have never picked this book up had the publisher not offered it for free. And it'd have been my great loss! Of Blood and Honey is the sort of urban fantasy that makes other urban fantasy series look bad, it's just that creative and different.

The book is set in Ireland in the 1970s. Set amid the Troubles, violent things happen. Dark, twisted things happen. For those interested in warnings, (view spoiler) Much of the graphicness is implied, rather than explicitly or exploitatively stated, which I really appreciated. I really appreciated the details and the historical reality Leicht constructed and smoothly presented.

The conflict is a fascinating one, and well-layered. Fairies, fallen angels and the priests who hunt them, Catholics, Protestants, and Liam, a half-fae young man from Derry who struggles to repress the demons inside him. The fairies played only a small part in this book, but I suspect the sequel will delve further into their world.

My main issue with this book was how much the other characters kept Liam in the dark about who he was and the supernatural struggle that was drawing him in. It was just very frustrating, that a couple truthful and timely conversations might have made things easier for Liam! Other than that, though, the book was a smooth, engaging, unique read, and I look forward to the sequel when it's released.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Blood and Honey.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brandi Who is Ned? Liam?

Megan Oh gosh, I got the main character's name wrong, didn't I? That's pretty embarrassing. Thank you for pointing that out kindly.

Brandi Megan wrote: "Oh gosh, I got the main character's name wrong, didn't I? That's pretty embarrassing. Thank you for pointing that out kindly."

Oh, no problem lol, I was thinking I had gotten confused with the plethora of groups and what not that was in it. :)