Melanie's Reviews > The Sloth's Eye

The Sloth's Eye by Linda Lombardi

Apr 17, 2011

bookshelves: animals
Read from April 17 to 27, 2011

This book is hard to characterize. Nominally, it is a murder mystery set in a zoo but that is not a great description of it. It is more a story of a young woman zookeeper and animal lover and her infatuation with a co-worker and how that affects and influences her care for the animals she loves and works with. For a murder mystery, the tone is very light and quite amusing. Hannah is a very likable, if somewhat flakey, protagonist, hardly able to keep her thoughts on one topic (except when that topic is Chris). When one of her fellow zoo employees is murdered in a rather bizarre fashion, she and her co-workers spend surprisingly little time worrying about it, instead going on with their normal lives, absorbed in the zoo animals and their own interpersonal intrigues.

I liked the book a lot and really enjoyed reading it, especially because I wish I had Hannah's job! The word "capybara" appears many times throughout the book but, sadly, the world's cutest animals do not make an actual appearance. There is one incorrect animal fact (maras are the 4th largest rodent, not the 2nd) but other than that, all the data is correct as far as I know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sloth's Eye.