Jen (Red Hot Books)'s Reviews > Wait for Dusk

Wait for Dusk by Jocelynn Drake

Apr 18, 2011

bookshelves: dark-days, urban-fantasy
read count: 2

The fifth installment of the Dark Days series is Wait for Dusk, or as I like to call it (view spoiler). And I have got to say, this is the best one yet.

As our book begins, Mira is being tortured by the entity who kidnapped her at the end of Pray for Dawn . But it's not an old witch woman kicking her ass... It turns out to be her "real" father, who claims to be Satan himself. Daddy's got a mission for Mira. He wants her to learn to take control of Danaus and Jebari's powers. And he gives her a power-upgrade so she has the ability to do it. This is a bit of a mixed bag for our vampire heroine. She finally has the juice to turn the tables on the two men who have been pulling her strings over the course of the last few books. But she's not completely on board with the idea because 1) she is sort-of in love with Danaus and 2) she is scared Jebari will wipe the floor with her. Dad's not giving her much of a choice in the matter.

Mira is summoned back to Venice to be officially indoctrinated into the Coven. And she brings Danaus as back-up. She knows she's facing the threat of death from fellow coven-member Macaire. And sure enough, he orchestrates a trip for her to Budapest, where he has set the wheels in motion for her death to occur. Of course, Mira's smarter and tougher than anyone gives her credit for. And not only does she have Danaus at her back, she's got Valerio and Stefan with her too. There's a fairly good plot arc about the intrigue in Budapest. But to me, the most interesting is the subplot surrounding Mira and Danaus' evolving relationship. And now that her allegiance to him is clear in the vampire world, he is becoming her Achilles heel. Mira's emotions are so fragile where he is concerned. And there was more than one time in the story where, I too, thought he abandoned her.

But holy cow, when these two finally get their act together.... I think I read (view spoiler) at least 5 times. In a row. Then when the book was over, I went back and read it again. It was that hot. Plus, I needed the distraction from the heart-wrenching ending. For as high as I got on the romance action, Jocelynn Drake shredded me utterly with (view spoiler). Even when Mira finally wins one, she still loses. 5 stars.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wait for Dusk.

Spoiler Whore says calm your tits people, it's just a book I've been meaning to read this book. And who does she lose??

Spoiler Whore says calm your tits people, it's just a book that was the weaker vamp, right?

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) Yes. (I was very sad about it.)