Julie's Reviews > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, fantasy, fairy-tales, short-stories, middle-grade
Recommended for: Harry Potter fans
Read on April 17, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

This book has been sitting on my shelf unread since Christmas of the year it came out. Today I picked it up for a fun, fast read.

It was about what I expected, being a collection of wizard-and-magic-themed fairy tales with connections to the world of Harry Potter. I actually enjoyed reading Dumbledore's commentary more than the stories themselves.

My favorite was probably The Fountain of Fair Fortune, since with only a few magical mentions it was really the most traditional of the fairy tales. I liked the theme and the message.

My least favorite was definitely The Wizard and the Hopping Pot. Dumbledore facetiously describes it in his commentary as a story about a hard-hearted wizard gaining a conscience which makes him start helping his neighbors, but that's not what it was at all. Basically it's a story about a kind wizard who realizes before his death that his son is a jerkwad, and decides that if the son doesn't at least ACT kind to others, he's going to torment him into doing so (quite successfully, I might add). The son isn't helping people at the end because he sees a need for it - he's just doing it to get the pot off his back. Who knows - maybe years down the line the son will come to see the happiness his actions bring and will develop some kind of heart, but it hasn't happened by the end of the story. (I also had to wonder - did the father set up the spell on the pot himself, or did he know about the need for the slipper from personal experience? I choose to believe the former.)

Overall it's a cute read but I think all the really pertinent story-related parts were conveyed within HP7.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

03/21/2016 marked as: read