Gundula's Reviews > Mystery in the Minster

Mystery in the Minster by Susanna Gregory

Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: historical-mystery
Read from December 17, 2011 to January 16, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mystery in the Minster.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharyn (new) - added it

Sharyn Oooo, this looks good!

Gundula It was pretty good, definitely better than the previous one of the series. Have you read the entire series? This is one series where I always buy the books as soon as they become available. Susanna Gregory's Matthew Bartholomew series is (after the Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters) my favourite Mediaeval mystery series.

message 3: by Sharyn (new) - added it

Sharyn I haven't read any of them but I'm always on the lookout for a good mystery. Have watched Brother Cadfael on PBS but, again, haven't read the books.

Gundula Sharyn wrote: "I haven't read any of them but I'm always on the lookout for a good mystery. Have watched Brother Cadfael on PBS but, again, haven't read the books."

You MUST read the Cadfael books. They are miles ahead of the PBS series (where for some of the episodes, the producer/director took some for me unacceptable liberties with the plotlines).

If you are interested in the Matthew Bartholomew series, I would definitely recommend that you start with the first book, A Plague on Both Your Houses and read through the books in order. You don't have to, the books can be enjoyed out of sequence, but for narrative flow and back story material, I think reading the books in order would be better (same with the Cadfael books).

message 5: by Sharyn (new) - added it

Sharyn Isn't that always the way with directors? :(
Anyway, I'll take your advice and start at the beginning with both series (now if I could only win the lottery and add 8 hours to the day :))

Cheers!

Gundula Sharyn wrote: "Isn't that always the way with directors? :(

Cheers!"

You should check if the books are available at the library. Many of the older ones are also likely available at used bookstores and the like. Let me know what you think of the series.