Debbie's Reviews > Guilt by Association

Guilt by Association by Marcia Clark

Apr 17, 2011

bookshelves: suspense, mystery
Read in April, 2011

"Guilt By Association" is a fast-paced mystery/detective suspense novel. Though Rachel is a D.A., she spent most of her time solving the mystery at the side of her police detective friend rather than in the court room. However, details about her job and the investigation were woven into the story along with vivid details about the setting.

The characters were quirky, varied, and interesting...though the amount of drinking and illegal behavior made me start to have doubts about our legal system. (It's just a story...written by a D.A., but it's just a story...I hope.) Rachel did deal with doubts about Jake even as she worked to clear his name. Several of the characters had relationship hang-ups, though we never learned all of the details of why Rachel had her hang-up.

The end wrapped up a bit quickly when things finally came together. The detective and Rachel followed up on the leads as soon as they had the evidence--and, in one case, made an arrest before all of the evidence was confirmed. Since they'd held off on making judgments until all the evidence was in for most of the book, it almost seemed like they jumped to conclusions on slim evidence in that one case. Nonetheless, it was a clever mystery (though it wasn't the type where readers have a chance to guess whodunit ahead of time).

There was a fair amount of crude language and explicit bad language. There were no sex scenes. Overall, it was an entertaining novel.

I received this book as an Advanced Reading Copy from the publisher.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guilt by Association.