Dwayne's Reviews > The Ultimate Betrayal

The Ultimate Betrayal by Michelle Reid

Apr 19, 2011

bookshelves: e-book-copy
Read on April 17, 2011

Reviewed @ Girls Without a Bookshelf.

Ah, a book about infidelity. Normally I'd rather suffer through watching Big Brother than read it, because the former at least would make me feel better about my mental faculties and the latter I'm sure from experience would only upset me so. But I have always shunned these books and really, it was time to give one a chance.

Glad I did. Sure, the topic is painful, sensitive and emotional, but ultimately what carries the book for me I have realised is not the reasons for the infidelity that the characters give, but how the couple handles it after the bomb explodes and puts everything into chaos. And in a marriage with children involved ... well it gets a hell of a lot more complicated. There could have been a thousand wrongs waiting to trap this book as I am easily irked by the littlest of actions/reactions from the characters in situations like this, but fortunately Rachel and Daniel are characters moulded from reality. Each of their reactions, reflections and feelings are genuine and portrayed effectively and with great accuracy. Rachel will earn the readers' sympathy, perhaps even empathy, just as Daniel shall earn the scorn he deserves.

There is no instant forgiveness for Daniel - because he did betray Rachel after all. He is contrite and is shamed by his behaviour, and does a lot of grovelling for his wife's forgiveness. He also does suffer for his mistakes. His reparation is long and admittedly satisfying. Rachel is a strong character - she's not a pushover, but someone who knows she is wronged and the gravity of the betrayal. She does take a little blow to Daniel here and there but the book really shows the depth of her affection for her family. There is enough drama to glue you into the plot, and with these great, real life characters, this book is one you should read!

The Ultimate Betrayal is a great read - one that focuses on the asking and granting of forgiveness, on the building of a broken trust and on re-valuating a marriage. It's also about making mistakes, regrets, and knowing one's priorities in life. In The Ultimate Betrayal, I seem to have found the star book about the one topic I hated to read most in romances!

Old book indeed, but awesome nevertheless. I wished more romances were like this, with a lot of focus on emotions, trust and love, rather than just sexual tension. This really should be re-issued!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ultimate Betrayal.