Laura's Reviews > Where She Went

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Apr 17, 11

Read in April, 2011

I just recently reviewed the audiobook version if If I Stay. This is the second book in the same series, which takes the perspective, of Mia's boyfriend Adam. After Mia's accident, when she decides to leave for Julliard, she and Adam break up. Adam goes on to become a remarkably successful rock star - a label he isn't quite comfortable with- while Mia is off building her career as a musician on the opposite end of the spectrum, as a classical cellist. While preparing to go on his second world tour with his band, Adam and Mia meet at a Carnegie Hall show she is playing. The night that they spend together is the main setting of the book.

I like Where She Went better than the first installment. Although having these two uber-successful musicians from the same small town isn't super realistic, both characters are lively and realistically drawn. I like Adam's broody musician character, and his epic rise to stardom isn't so unreal in our age of instant celebrity. Of course, like in many young adult novels, the romance between the two main characters is electric. They were in love the way that only teenagers can be. My read of the book was propulsive and I finished in only a few hours. I enjoyed the book, and I think many readers of contemporary YA will as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where She Went.