Elizabeth's Reviews > Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!: Voices from a Medieval Village

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! by Laura Amy Schlitz

Feb 23, 08

bookshelves: already-read
Recommended to Elizabeth by: ALA
Recommended for: Children, teachers, librarians
Read in February, 2008

Monologues and dialogs written from the point of view of children living in the Middle Ages. This book recently won some sort of award - though I can't remember which one. The author is a school librarian who wanted to create a play about the middle ages for students who were learning about said time period. Since no child wants a small part, she wrote short monologues (and a few dialogs).

The book is nice in that it makes history personal; it helps a kid relate to another person who lived in a different era (and thus, hopefully, the kid learns something about that era). The author has obviously done her research, based on the bibliography at the end of the book. The illustrations are pretty, as well. I do wonder if the Middle Ages haven't been dumbed down just a tad too much. Yes, I realize the book is for children. Good book, not great, I'd say. Would be fun to see these acted out.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!.