Lesley's Reviews > Dry

Dry by Augusten Burroughs

Feb 23, 08

I liked this book slightly less than Running With Scissors but given the limitations of the bookster star system, it’s hard to tell. Honestly, though, I can’t with any confidence determine whether the slight difference in appreciation is merit-based or simply because abject alcoholism gives me the shakes. Addiction is pretty gross and can transform mere bastards into evil, selfish, lying, destructive assholes. Despite that, however, I recall feeling Burroughs comes across as markedly more arrogant in this book and that arrogance, coupled with his stories of alcoholic horror, left me wondering if he were bragging somehow.

But maybe I just don’t like him. I didn’t like him in Running With Scissors and I don’t like him now. It’s weird that I would read two+ “memoirs” by a person for whom I feel virtually no affinity. Maybe I’m subconsciously practicing for future therapy sessions with clients I don’t like? I dunno. I read Dry a while ago and don’t remember it nearly as well as one probably should before writing an actual review. I’m just really not into giving books stars without writing reviews, though. It’s too easy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dry.