Sean de la Rosa's Reviews > Lewis Carroll in Numberland: His Fantastical Mathematical Logical Life

Lewis Carroll in Numberland by Robin Wilson

Apr 17, 11

On recommendation, Charles Dodgson wrote under the pseudonym of Lewis Carroll for all of his literary exploits - most notably the Alice in Wonderland series. A qualified mathematician from Oxford; there was no limits to the types of problems this great man applied his mind to. The book is full of puzzles, riddles, euclidean geometry problems that Dodgson designed over his life time. Dodgson even devised a nifty technique for calculating determinants of large matrices. He was also an avid photographer. He died at the age of 65 from severe bronchial influenza.

The book is written by a mathematician for mathematicians. Its a pity the biographer didn't spend a chapter or two explaining Dodgson's technique and thought process in devising the strange and fabulous characters in Alice in Wonderland. I understand from other sources that Dodgson based a number of the characters on some of the most important mathematical concepts we use today. Overall, I was bit disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lewis Carroll in Numberland.