Inga's Reviews > Six Moon Summer

Six Moon Summer by S.M. Reine

Apr 22, 11

Read in April, 2011

First sentence: The moon rose high in the sky.

In the beginning of the book author gives a very captivating prelude, which draws a nice picture of what is going to happen in the coming chapters. But you never realize that there will be lot of twists and turns before you finish reading Six Moon Summer.

Meet Rylie, a girl whose parents are divorcing and who is sent to summer camp for three months. Rylie dislikes everything about the camp: the food, the people, hiking and she misses her city a lot. She feels misplaced and outsider and she would rather hide herself in the cabin on her cot instead of participating what the camp has to offer.

The summer camp meets her with some hostility, girls whom she shares the cabin with start openly comment her and bullying her. After the heartbreaking scene, where other girls are going through Rylie’s things and reading her diary, Rylie runs off to the forest, not realizing what danger is waiting for her. Danger that will change her life completely.

What I liked about the Six Moon Summer

I loved the surroundings and setting that author created for the book – the Camp Silver Brook. Usually there are only two types of opinions about summer camps and this was also mirrored in the book – either you love it or you hate it. Rylie’s view on the camp was very clear in the beginning of the book, but it changes throughout the book, Rylie learns to love the opportunities that he camp offered to her after she started changing. I think the author does a wonderful job describing the Camp Silver Brook, otherwise typical summer camp for young people. The way author described the summer camp - it made me wish to visit the place!

The plot itself was captivating, as said; there were some interesting twists and turns in the book. First you find yourself in the summer camp, then a brief visit to the city where Rylie is from, then back to the camp. There were several events and topics, what kept me reading Six Moon Summer and made it an interesting read: divorce in the family, bullying people who are different among the teens, paranormal aspects of the book, death in the family and last, but not least the characters.

S.M. Reine did an excellent job with her female characters. Rylie was well thought through, a teen girl who felt totally out of space and room; Amber was a typical teenager, who thought herself being better than others; I absolutely adored Louisa, Rylie’s counselor in the camp; Cassidy with her rebellion heart. All that made the female characters strong, interesting and easy to associate with. The male characters of the book were weaker in my opinion, but Rylie’s dad was very sympathetic, a dad which everyone would love to have.

What I think author can improve.

There were couple of scenes in the book, where I found the actions of the characters little farfetched. For example I found the scene where Seth starts to tie Rylie up before her change too strange. It was a tiny bit too much for YA book in my opinion. I understood the necessity of that, but still it felt awkward to me.

The second episode what felt alien to me was the aggressiveness in Rylie which she expressed when she started to change into werewolf. It happened too fast and it did not suite to Rylie as a character.

Seth was a mystery to me. I really liked him in the book, but there was something in him, that seemed flat. I needed more background information about him than I got from the first book. He was not captivating enough. He was nice, good looking, helpful, mysterious – he could really be lovable character, but what I missed was a spark, a fire inside him.

Generally speaking I think Six Moon Summer was a very good book and an interesting start for series and I will be looking forward to reading the sequels. S.M. Reine’s book is definitely worth of reading.

4 stars out of 5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six Moon Summer.