Joan Graham's Reviews > Sea Glass

Sea Glass by Anita Shreve

F_50x66
Apr 17, 11

By the time I read Sea Glass, I was on a quest to discover all books by this author. Anita Shreve has done something I find interesting: She has used the same house, a former convent perched on the New Hampshire shore, as the setting in several books from different historical periods. In this Depression era novel, the house's occupants are losing their footing because they have purchased the place on the eve of the country's financial collapse. Sexton's typewriter sales plummet after the crash, and Honora's reaction to isolation and hard times leads to her involvement with unionizers from a nearby mill and a wealthy socialite. Sea Glass, the colorful detritus she gathers and collects from the beach, becomes a metaphor for human survival after weathering life's hard times. Revisiting or maybe I should say pre-visiting the same house where The Pilot's Wife later lived provided me with a little hook because I felt like I knew something these characters did not know...that the house would survive, even if they didn't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea Glass.