Carol's Reviews > Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love

Oogy by Larry Levin

Apr 17, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, dog-cat-bird
Read from April 17 to 19, 2011

This is a inspiring story about a loving family and a dog who needed them. The author, Larry Levin, tells the beginning of the family. There are some flashbacks but it is not difficult to keep up with the story.

The twin boys, Dan and Noah are adopted. With their father's stories surrounding their adoption the two boys seem perfect for the father and mother. The boys' story of adoption dovetails beautifully with Oogies adoption story.

When the family took their dying cat to the veternarian, they accidently met Oogy. And Oggy met them. He had an unusual appearance because half of his face had been torn off, his ear was missing, he looked like an ugly dog. What he looked like didn't matter, what mattered is that Oogy already knew that he was a part of the family.

OOgy had been used as a bait dog for fighting dogs. This is a dog thrown in for the fighter dogs to practice tearing apart and killing other dogs.

Why is it that this dog who had never known human love, who was never petted could love so much? This dog had suffered more more than being neglected, was a dedicated kisser!

The boys thought of him as their third twin. I feel that the basic theme of this book is to get across the idea that when you take an animal into your home, it is not really a pet it is family. That is the same way that my husband and I think of our two cockatiels, Squeaky and Speckles. These are our "boys".

The writing is simple, direct and perseptive. The book has wonderful pictures of Oogy sprinled through out. It is easy to feel the love they feel for Oogy and that Oogy feels for them.

I reccommend this book to all dog lovers and to everyone has an animal in their family or wants one. It is truly a love story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oogy.

04/17/2011 page 1