Terry's Reviews > The Boxer and the Spy

The Boxer and the Spy by Robert B. Parker

Apr 17, 11

bookshelves: guy-books, adult-authors-write-ya
Read in April, 2011

This is my first Parker, and now I'm curious about his adult titles, the one's that have been best sellers for decades. There are several things to like about this YA mystery: Terry and Abby are believable fifteen year olds and a good couple, the pacing is swift, the crime and solution make sense. My favorite line comes about 2/3 of the way through, when Terry's boxing coach, George, tells him that he's coaching him to be a good man. That piece was powerful, as were all the explorations of cruelty and bravery connected with fighting.

The banter that Abby and Terry have about their non-existent sex life also was refreshing; they talk about an awkward subject with flirtation and clear, appropriate boundaries.

I don't know if the average teen reader will gravitate to Parker's heavy reliance on dialogue. I found this short book to be well worth reading. If someone likes The Contender, this is a natural next read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boxer and the Spy.