Frances's Reviews > Her Fearful Symmetry

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Apr 17, 11

Read on April 17, 2011

I found this book on the recommended reading shelf of the library. It is the story of 5 people (including a ghost) who live in an apartment building (flat building?) in London, overlooking a cemetary. The characters where very vivid; the author did a good job developing them. There was also this interesting theme that emerged where all of the occupants were trapped (either physically or emotionally). For the first 3/4th of the story, I was really glad I was reading it. Suddenly, towards the end of the book, one of the characters comes up with a really dumb way to get away from her twin sister. Apparently, jumping on a plane and sending a postcard that said she would see her later was not normal enough. She comes up with this crazy plan to die then be put back into her body. Some reason everyone goes along with it. It does not work (of course), so the book ends with her as a ghost riding the back of a crow over Big Ben. Don't worry...this makes her happy. The author then quickly finishes up the story with either abrupt endings or out right cliches. Got the feeling that she knew the book was getting stupid, and she just wanted it over. The book started out great, but ended up with me left thinking "What?!?!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Fearful Symmetry.