Ulina's Reviews > Restful Web Services

liked it
bookshelves: tech-books
Read from February 24, 2012 to August 29, 2014

Meh.
I really wanted to give the book a 2.5, but I gave it a 3 because of the Appendixes in the back of the book.
Granted I believe if I read the books when it was published (2008) or when i first bought it (2010-11 ) I probably would have given the book a 4.5.
I still would not have given the book a 5 because the author repeats himself a lot. He is even aware of it and points to multiple places in the book where he talked about the topic before, but that doesn't stop him from going over the topic again, in what is very close to full details, each time. This book could have been way shorter.

I bought the book when I was working on a RESTful service app with my supervisor at a previous job and saw that he was reading it. He is a really smart guy and I respected him, so I wanted to read it as well. He mentioned that he didn't really care for the book, but it did have a lot of good tips. The reason being, is that for a book that is about a particular subject, it reads more like a book on how to use Ruby for this particular subject. My supervisor was a senior Java programmer and since the book had heavy use of Ruby, it made it less desirable to read. This is one of the reasons why it took me so long to finish. Most of the subject matter in the book has now become common knowledge to most developers and because it was heavily focused on how to use Ruby to implement a RESTful service.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Restful Web Services.

02/24/2012
2.0% "using nook app, it doesn't say percentage; it uses page numbers. I had to use math."
07/26/2012
15.0% "ugh" 2 comments
07/29/2012
18.0% "I want to finish this so I can read the Hobbit! ... or did I say Life of Pi was next ...?" 1 comment
08/06/2012
25.0% "it's not that this is tech book why it is taking me forever to finish and I'm starting to find it boring. it is because the author repeats himself A LOT. I understand drilling the info into our head but come on. Maybe it's because he is saying stuff I already know or understand. Also he is using mostly ruby code and I have no current desire to learn ruby, nor do I care about it."
01/22/2014
28.0% "1% closer to being done with this book and getting it off my reading queue @_@."
01/25/2014
35.0% "I'm am going to try and finish this book by the end of the month since I've had it as "reading" for almost 3 years." 3 comments
01/29/2014
39.0% "3 days left to the month. I might have to spend the night reading in order to finish this by Saturday morning."
08/29/2014 marked as: read