Debbie's Reviews > The Red Queen

F_50x66
May 15, 11

bookshelves: work-reading-group, historical-fiction
Read from May 11 to 15, 2011

Having already read the White Queen was disappointed that this was just the same story from the point of view of the opposing house of Lancaster. I think I was expecting taking the story forward maybe beginning with the Battle of Bosworth where White Queen ended. Initially drawn to Margaret Beaufort due to her awful mother marrying her off at around 12 years of age I quickly found her repetative and boring. A drawn out will they wont they attraction to Jasper annoyingly amounted to nothing wasting many pages and any hope that frigid Margaret would find the marital bed more that a place to conceive an heir. Her narrow mindness/ single mindness to get her only child to the throne was drawn out over nearly 400 pages. The book lacked the love affair of White Queen together with its mystical water magic. The purpose of course to show the reader the contrast between Elizbeth Woodville and Margaret Beaufort.

All in all quite dull with the story telling coming from Margaret who for the most part was stuck in remote houses away from court and certainly never set foot on a battlefield at any time during the book. Didnt care for her plight and not interested in her point of view Having become fully up to speed on how the Tudors came to the throne from reading White Queen this book lacked any surprises for me. Thank goodness for the mischievous Stanley who entertained for the last third.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Queen.

05/12/2011 page 200
52.0% "Never have I disliked a charactor so much. What a whiny self absorbed narrow minded woman - me me me me me. Was Margaret Beaufort really like this ?"