Graham's Reviews > Listen

Apr 17, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: nook
Read from April 14 to 24, 2011

This was a book that was offered free on the Nook as one of their "Free Friday" specials. The premise was interesting too: Someone is posting the private conversations of a town publicly on a website, and we see how it affects the citizens of the town.

Largely, the book worked. It kept me interested right the way to the end (even though a review I read previously gave the culprit away), and it had some good concepts. Unlike many other novels, the technology that was mentioned was actually plausible - that's something that often irritates me if done wrong.

I found out only after deciding to read it that Rene Gutteridge writes in the genre known as Christian Fiction. I may not have bothered with it at all had I known before this. And yes, it was a little preachy in a few places. However, it came across more like a story that involved some people who were Christian, than a book with a Christian message. The main message was one of how words can be powerful, and in the wrong hands, destructive. So much for "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

Overall, the story was enjoyable, but it did have the potential to be a much better book if it had been in different hands.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Listen.