Carrie Clevenger's Reviews > Khepera Rising

Khepera Rising by Nerine Dorman

Apr 20, 11

Read from April 17 to 20, 2011

James “Jamie” Guillaume starts out as a thirty-something man who runs an occult shop, has a proud reputation as South Africa’s “Wickedest Man”, has his pick of all the kindergoths in town at his disposal, and wears carefully applied make-up, completing his immersion in his self-constructed fantasy world. Piece-by-piece, this meticulously-maintained environment is slowly reduced, laying bare the true man beneath the veneer and positioning him against larger-than-life adversaries.

Khepera Rising is a stunning masterpiece of dark paranormal urban fantasy beyond typical glittery fae or vampires. This book is reserved for readers who want to sink chest-deep in satiny prose, vivid descriptions, and a plot that keeps them turning the page long after their body has made the call for sleep in the wee hours of the morning.

I finished this book in two day’s time only because I simply found it impossible to put the book down. The characters are each bright and memorable, and I didn’t run into the problem I encounter often, which is forgetting who is who and wondering what exactly their significance in the greater scheme of things is. No, every individual is well-placed, an essential piece of a magnificent chess set in Dorman’s universe.

Dorman further flexes her literary skills by exposing her in-depth knowledge of the subject matter and takes her reader by the hand to lead them through a labyrinth of blacker subjects than your typical St. Martin’s novel. This book provides a deeply engrossing and educational read, set on the shores of Cape Town, in South Africa.

Not since Dean Koontz’s olden horror-writing days have I been so enthralled by a story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Khepera Rising.

04/17/2011 page 21
04/19/2011 page 90
43.0% "It's nearly impossible to put this book down to do other things."
show 1 hidden update…