Ellen Librarian's Reviews > My Year of Meats

My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki

F_50x66
Apr 17, 11

Read in April, 2011

This fun, interesting and unusual novel was almost great. It's got to be one of the most original stories ever: A Japanese-American documentarian gets a job producing a Japanese reality television series sponsored by an American beef trade group. Though the show visits a different American household each week and showcases its American, meat-filled meals, the real purpose is to entice Japanese housewives into buying and serving American meat. In the course of producing the series, the protagonist discovers some disturbing truths - the real reality you might say - about American meat production and, unfortunately, that's when the novel veers off course into a fictionalized manifesto against agribusiness and more.

Ozeki is a good writer and there are lots of funny, touching and horrific scenes. But there were a number of plot points that I found too hard to believe, a number of characters that are just too cartoonish. I got the feeling she fixed characters and plot around her political points rather than vice versa. Still, Ozeki knows how to tell a story and her droll takes on the world of media, corporate sponsorship and the cross-cultural (mis)communications between Japan and the USA are priceless. I wish she had kept her focus there instead of going for the heavy-handed anti-meat infomercial as thinly veiled as fiction as her fictional TV show was as real.

Still, it's an enjoyable, engrossing book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Year of Meats.