Zorena's Reviews > Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel

Aug 17, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, science-fiction-alternate-history
Read from May 30 to August 10, 2012

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel

I was grabbed from the start. “Magicians study magic , why should anyone expect more!”
A gentleman could not DO magic. Fortunately Mr. Norrel teaches these gentlemen otherwise.
Still, it took me a long time to read this book. I found myself visiting it between other smaller books and short stories. Not because it was bad but more due to the fact it was like a good serial, better read in instalments.

I adored the footnotes. They lent to the atmosphere of reading a history book as opposed to a fantasy. Somehow this made her characters more real to me. I could really picture Norrel snottily addressing practical magicians as if the were all charlatans and Strange's pain at always being held back by Mr. Norrel. Add into the mix a true historical battle between France and England and some not so nice faery and you have a daunting but well written volume.

I think I'm going to have to reread this book soon and the next time without interruptions. Susanna Clarke has managed to write a magnificent story if you're willing to take the time to read it. I'll definitely be reading. I'll definitely be reading The Ladies of Grace Adieu in the very near future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.

07/21/2012 page 322
38.0% "I am enjoying this book but I can't seem to concentrate on anything for too long so it's nice to read this in small bites."
08/01/2012 page 507
60.0% "I am enjoying this book but I can't seem to concentrate on anything for too long so it's nice to read this in small bites."
08/17/2012 "I am enjoying this book but I can't seem to concentrate on anything for too long so it's nice to read this in small bites."