Adna's Reviews > My Father's Paradise: A Son's Search for His Family's Past

My Father's Paradise by Ariel Sabar

Apr 16, 2011

bookshelves: review-written, historical-non-fiction, my-favorites, auto-and-biography
Recommended for: People who like books about language, history, religions, and autobiographies.
Read from April 16 to May 02, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Author Ariel Sabar wrote about a journey of discovery of his father's roots.

Ariel's father, Yona Sabar (born Yona Beh Sabagha), was a Kurdish Jew, and was born and grew up in the isolated, hidden part of northern Iraq. As the politics of the country changed so did the place where he was born. He was a bright student who got a scholarship and a chance to study in the US. He never considered himself an adventure seeker yet he moved half across the World to live his life doing something he loved: language learning (studying and teaching Aramaic).

Ariel, on the other hand, grew up a spoiled American ashamed of his roots blaming his father "for being Middle Eastern at a time when nothing was less cool". It wasn't until Ariel had a son of his own that he finally got the need to understand where his father came from. This book shows us that journey.

Thank you "Book Studio" for this giveaway.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Father's Paradise.

Quotes Adna Liked

Ariel Sabar
“Each time a language dies, another flame goes out, another sound goes silent.”
Ariel Sabar, My Father's Paradise: A Son's Search for His Jewish Past in Kurdish Iraq

04/16/2011 page 109
04/22/2011 page 213
62.0% "The more society advances in a technical and material way, the more its people grow complicated and distant from one another. Everyone here, and especially the intellectuals, is an individual. The innocent, simple man, who accepts things at face value, the nice guy who worries about people and not just himself, that person disappears. *p202"
04/29/2011 page 318
92.0% "Each time a language dies, another flame goes out, another sound goes silent. *p317"
11/08/2016 marked as: read