Stephen's Reviews > Bleeding Hearts

Bleeding Hearts by Josh Aterovis

Apr 16, 2011

bookshelves: detective-stories, gay-reads, books-read-in-2012, teen-reads
Read from March 05 to 07, 2012

Killian Kendall is a young man attending high school in Maryland and is quite content to be overlooked. That is until he meets an out gay boy in his drama class and befriends him only to begin wondering about his own sexual preferences. However, this coming out story quickly takes a morbid turn when a scheduled rendezvouz in the park has Killian discovering his friend's body and getting stabbed himself by the fleeing attacker.

This is the second Killian Kendall mystery that I've read and they're a unique blend of coming out fiction and detective story. The prose is generally workmanlike and serves the story well although there are some spots that seem overearnest and a bit amateurish. Still, its better than a lot of the writing I've encountered lately from much larger publishing concerns.

This is a good page-turning read and worth the time. Don't expect "capital L" literature but if you like detective stories or coming out stories, check this one out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bleeding Hearts.

Quotes Stephen Liked

“There is a delicate-looking plant native to North America called bleeding heart.”
Josh Aterovis, Bleeding Hearts

03/07/2012 page 130
55.0% "130 pages in and we meet a new character who I'm guessing is the killer. Another coming out story / mystery workmanlike if sometimes amateurish prose so far. Not bad reading but a bit unpolished and overearnest in spots."