Pamela's Reviews > How to Buy a Love of Reading

How to Buy a Love of Reading by Tanya Egan Gibson

Apr 16, 11

bookshelves: fiction, notes
Read from April 13 to 16, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Browsing at the library this title caught my eye and the cover made the book interesting. Yet while first reading it I found it wasn’t nearly as interesting as the cover. It was another book that I wanted to stop reading early on, but kept with it and enjoyed it more as the book developed.

There are many interesting parts to the book, mainly the language and a play on being a novel, without delving too deeply into post-modernism or meta-fiction while commentating on it (perhaps containing part of that aspect). The author was clearly attempting to be funny, while the story itself was really quite sad. The teenage angst compounded by parents who are more selfish than most, (because they have money??) and the typical diving into reckless behavior with drinking too much, drugs and sex. I didn’t like to read about rich kids and parents being so dang selfish, and the fundraiser at didn’t really make anyone redeemable. The one parent (Francis) who appears the least repulsive of course isn’t irreproachable with his long standing affair. One could see an almost decent parent/child relationship here with his daughter but we aren’t given any real scenes with the two of them.

There were parts of the book that I found obvious, (spoiler alert) yes the girl would grow to love reading and become a writer, and yes someone was heading towards suicide, yet I had hoped it would be different. Many of the characters were stereotypes we’ve seen many times before. The book could easily have been shorter, it didn’t need to be quite so long for this tale, it felt like it dragged on at times.
The book could have been better. The writer was working towards it, and there are aspects within that show a well crafted book was near, but not quite there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Buy a Love of Reading.

04/18/2014 marked as: tempstatus