Bry's Reviews > Red Riding Hood

Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright

May 08, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, 2011, fantasy, dnf
Read from May 07 to 08, 2011

Well I only got about 100 pages in. It's hard to explain why I am not finishing this book. You know the saying the book is always better than the movie? Well I don't think that -ism really counts when the book is written based off a movie and not the other way around.

From the beginning it is painfully obvious that the author of the book is not entirely knowledgeable about the characters, their motivations, or the plot.The writing seemed clunky, as if she was working from an outline. But her lack of understanding about the story made moving from outline point to outline point difficult and lacking - thus the clunky.

Because the author didn't understand the story enough she couldn't convey it to me as the reader, and so frankly I just lost interest. Thus the not even making it 100 pages into the book.

Knowing you had to download the last chapter of the book didn't help either. I mean come on! Talk about having no faith in your book as the writer when you put the conclusion up on the internet. Whose to say the website hosting the final chapter will still exist 5 years from now after some poor schmuck picks up a copy of this book in a used book store. Really - it's just bullshit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Riding Hood.

05/07/2011 "I am starting this even though it has bad reviews and the last chapter isn't included in the book - you have to download it! Not to mention it has beautiful cover art which pretty much guarantees it's another shitty YA novel. Wait...why am I reading this again?"
05/07/2011 page 27
8.0% "The writing seems clunky. Like the author doesn't really know the story well enough (since it's not hers anyways) and thus can't adequately tell it. It seems like she is just throwing out whatever she does understand even without all the connecting threads (the characters histories, personality quirks, etc.)" 2 comments