Kimberly's Reviews > Hounded

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Mar 21, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, 2011
Read from April 16 to 25, 2011

This book is comes right up to the precipice of being a Mary Sue (or a Gary Stu, if you prefer). Avoiding the Mary Sue stigma in any book where the main character is the epitome of awesome and has a ton of special powers is a really tricky thing to do. I tried to suspend my disbelief and enjoy the book, but so many times things would come up that made me wonder if this was anything more than an elaborate fanfic. Here are just a few examples:

* The main character is over 2000 years old, but only looks to be in his early 20s.
* Everyone thinks he's hot, and even the goddesses want to sleep with him.
* He possesses powers that the gods, witches, etc. envy.
* He can heal himself, talk to animals, make things invisible, etc.
* He carries a unique weapon and wears a strange piece of jewelry, both of which everyone seems to want.
* He lives in Arizona, which is where the author lives.

I don't know, maybe I'm being too harsh. On the plus side, I did find several of the characters to be quite good, and there are a few action scenes that sucked me right in. I also want to give kudos for stepping into the world of the druids, something which has not been exploited out yet.

There are a lot of reviews (on Goodreads and one one the cover) that talk about how funny this book is, but I didn't find anything particularly funny. There are also a lot of good reviews for this book, so I'm a bit sad that I wasn't as enthralled as everyone else. I really did want to be in love with this book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hounded.