Kiki's Reviews > Firelight

Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Jul 11, 13

bookshelves: ya, could-have-been-worse, tstl-heroine, i-ll-try-again-some-day, lost-the-will-to-live
Recommended to Kiki by: A vet
Recommended for: Vets
Read from September 02 to 17, 2011

Editing this review. Brb.
121 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firelight.

Comments (showing 1-37)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 37: by I am Bastet (last edited Aug 11, 2011 08:57AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

I am Bastet Kira, I love that you begin many of your reviews with some kind of story. Also, this book is awful. I think one of the top five worst books I read last year.

message 36: by John (new)

John Egbert I love the review and story mixes. So eloquent.

Hayden Amazing review. Anecdotal comparison = spot-on.

rameau I'd save myself the trouble and never pick this one up again. It gets so much worse before it gets as "good" as it was in the beginning. When I read it, I liked the beginning and the end best, but I also thought it ended unfinished.

It really neededn't to be a trilogy. I'm pretty sure the author could have condensed the plot into a one book and write something decent, instead prolonging the suffering. But, then she wouldn't have three books to sell.

And don't worry about your Kitty's gender identity, s/he knows who s/he is. It would be so much easier if English had a gender neutral word for third person singular. Like we do.

message 33: by Lissa (new)

Lissa I was so convinced only boy kitties could be ginger! Guess I was wrong. And your story is just hilarious. Poor Sam(antha).

message 32: by Kiki (last edited Aug 12, 2011 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki Me too, Lissa! I mean, we didn't lift her tail ourselves to double check, because we thought, "Hey, ginger cat. Gotta be a tom."

Apparently not.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Epic review, as always.
Sorry about your poor kitty though. Of course, that saved some awkward in case Sam ever got lost and two weeks later showed up with a growing belly.

Vinaya I liked this review as soon as I saw ginger kitty. I JUST GOT A GINGER KITTY!!! (Sorry, I got a little excited there!) Oh, and he's very definitely a HE. ;)

message 29: by Laima (new)

Laima I like your review Kira... I have a ginger kitty too!
and we also take our pets to Brantford - the 24/7 vet -
They are great!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

It seems odd, though, not being able to tell a cat's gender by just looking at it. Although now I'm glad my family has a dog, because it's impossible for a dog to do a genderswap.

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 16, 2011 08:51PM) (new)

But don't cats do something that allows you to distinguish their gender? Female dogs splotch blood everywhere for a few weeks- a messy trifle that is a pain when the house has carpeting. Cats must have some behavioral differences between genders.

message 26: by Paula (new)

Paula Haha I love this review. Funny thing is that the genderswap cat thing happened to me, too. My dad and brother found two abandoned cats when they were hunting and brought them home. We proceeded to name them Hunter and Sebastian only to realize later at the vets that they are both girls... Oh, well.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Kira wrote: "My cat isn't old enough to start menstruating, and as I said in my review, she's very boisterous and a pretty hardcore tomboy. Both male and female cats squat when they pee, too. Cats have very str..."

No, we don't breed our dog yet. We probably will soon, though; I am determined to be her midwife.

message 24: by Samuel (new)

Samuel García Have you actually read a book you liked lately? lol, maybe you should switch genres, romance novels tend to lean towards suck.

Also, you certainly have stories for everything. I doubt there will be a more memorable grandma than you; your grandchildren will either adore you or moan whenever they see you coming. xD

message 23: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki I'm reading this book again. After getting past page 50, I'm realizing it's not as awful as I thought. The cat story still applies, though. It's totally T-word derivative. Chest cramps, "ZOMG HE GETS ME" and a two-hot-boy-speshul-snowflake love triangle.

The writing is good though. Flows nicely. Poetic and pretty.

Hayden If you didn't like this one, I can pretty much bet a hundred bucks you won't like the second one.

Alison I have a cat who I was told was a boy, too. We named it Benny and then were told when Benny needed to be fixed we were told he was a she. But now she's Benny with an "I".

message 20: by Rogier (new)

Rogier it can't be that bad,it has a amasing cover

message 19: by Becky (new)

Becky Exactly, Paige. Take Halo, for example. Gorgeous cover, but a mess inside.

Mikaela hehe, fireplace, firelight. (sorry im an idiot)

message 17: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Becky wrote: "Exactly, Paige. Take Halo, for example. Gorgeous cover, but a mess inside."

Hayden Lissa wrote: "Becky wrote: "Exactly, Paige. Take Halo, for example. Gorgeous cover, but a mess inside."

And Fallen and Torment... absolutely gorgeous covers. Vomit-worthy on the inside."

message 15: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Hayden ✌, ♡ +☺ wrote: "The funny thing is that Passion had the most vomit-worthy cover and its insides weren't as vomit-worthy as the others. "

I heard that (courtesy of our dear Kira) but I was so put off by Torment that I've boycotted the last two books in the quad. It's Lauren Kate's own fault.

Hayden Yeah. I think Torment was a really apt title for that book. Fallen I got along with more easily, since it actually had a PLOT (interesting or not).

message 13: by Jesus (new)

Jesus Saldivia I'm still laughing with the cat story, you should consider writing!

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca This review is hilarious. I have a ginger cat who's a girl, too. It's really, really rare. Everyone totally thought she was a boy until her first vet visit. Did you also know that male calico cats are equally as rare as ginger girl kitties? Interesting stuff.

message 11: by Kiki (last edited Dec 21, 2011 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki Yay, Becca! High five for ginger girl kitties!

And I did not know that about calico cats. That's pretty cool. Y'know, part of the reason I love cats so much (and I'm a serious cat lady, no shit) is because they're so darn interesting. There are so many quirks and fun facts about them. They're great.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Hahaha, actually like the same exact thing happened with my dad's family's dog ... They got a dog which they thought was a guy, and named it Sam, and then it turned out to be a girl. So, they still called her Sam but it was short for Samantha. Heh.

BUT ANYWAY, great review. I agree ... It was not the best thing ever, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. And I liked that it had dragons in it. The literature world needs more dragon stories.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I have never read this book, but your review made me laugh my ass off.

I have been tempted to get this book, because I am a slut for a beautiful cover, but I think I'll pass. I have way too many good books to read as it is.

message 8: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Eeeh I want to read this just because of your she-male kitty!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh man, this happened the other way for me, though it took us a bit longer - we only realised once she grew some massive balls for herself. Oops.

message 6: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Barrie hi thanks for the heads up i've had enough of shitty books at the moment so incase you have never read her and for all i know you've already been told about her but anyway try Shelly Laurenston the first book of the series is called Dragon Actually (i think) the timeline throughout the series is a little funny but thats possibly because i haven't been reading them in order, stupid i know but anyway.

she's a little mills and boon but as most of those authors started there before the twilight phase its to be expected. it mostly follows one family but its not so structured that when the next book starts talking about someone you may not know (yet) your not completely lost and wondering where the hell she is going with it.

also Dragons turn into people (not the other way around)

...and she doesn't write like a 12 year old girl who has a crush on the bad boy and is hoping that he notices her

happy reading :)

message 5: by Ju (new)

Ju The vignettes that come at the beginning of your reviews:
all the feels

message 4: by Nina (new)

Nina When I read reviews I go for the ones with 3 stars. Your review is one of the reasons why.

Sofia Theos Waiting for the edited review...

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Lol your shelves Kira!

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Lol your shelves Kira!