Claudia's Reviews > Into the Gauntlet

Into the Gauntlet by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Apr 16, 11

Read from April 15 to 16, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Such a good series. All the characters are lovable, charming and yet everyone's got something to hide. The plot twists and turns and sometimes is confusing as hell. But damn, is it good. I thoroughly enjoyed all the history entwined with this fictional family of Cahills. Sometimes I find myself looking at a historical figure and considering what branch they might have been in.

Overall I found that the plot wasn't as consistant as I had hoped. But considering how hard it must have been to switch from author to author while keeping the ball rolling, I don't blame them. I've had a few complaints here and there with each book, as how sometimes there were just too many secrets that I couldn't make heads or tails of what was going on. But no matter what, I always loved the characters.

With one character in particular, I had high hopes for. But sadly the plot did not play out how I imagined it would have. I'm talking about Ian Kabra. I'm not sure if I'm not the only one upset by this, but I was -- and still am -- a pretty big shipper of Amy x Ian. Ever since reading book 3, The Sword Thief, I was so hyped up on potential romance that I practically plowed through the rest of the series just to find out it Amy and Ian ended up together. Well -- they didn't. And to say the least, I was pissed.

Come on guys. If you're going to tease us with romance, you should AT LEAST see it through to the end! My hopes for Amy x Ian progressively worsened as we heard less and less from Ian once his witch of a mother stepped in. And Kurt! I didn't even see the point of bringing Kurt into the picture other than to ease the suffering of romance-obsessed fangirls. Which, it didn't. Diehard Ian fan, here. I only hope that the reason behind not following through with the romance was because there is still much more opportunity for that in the later continuation of the series.

In the end, everything ended up okay. Everyone stopped fighting one another -- for now --, characters stopped questioning their motives, Amy and Dan are now rich and hold the recipe to the master serum, the Kabra children are now on the same level as Amy and Dan (disowned from their parents and slightly less rich -- this should get interesting), the Holts are family through and through, Jonah loves Shakespeare and is still famous, Isabel Kabra is in prison, Nellie is still kick-ass, Saladin (still have no idea how that cat survived traveling around the world, what with being swept up by the sea in Indonesia and falling off the Great Wall of China) is still an awesome cat, and a whole new family we never knew about until just now is rising to challenge the Cahills.

I'm so excited!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Gauntlet.

Quotes Claudia Liked

Margaret Peterson Haddix
“I like to know what I'm celebrating before I put on a party hat.”
Margaret Peterson Haddix, Into the Gauntlet

Margaret Peterson Haddix
“I can tell you that you will have your hearts broken more by the people you love than by the people you hate. But you must still dare to love. The rewards are worth far more than the risks.”
Margaret Peterson Haddix, Into the Gauntlet