Patty's Reviews > To Defy a King

To Defy a King by Elizabeth Chadwick

Apr 16, 11

This is my second book by Ms. Chadwick and it won't be my last. This tale of Mahelt Bigod takes you through the life of a woman who left little to history but who was the joint between two of the most powerful families of her time. By taking bits and pieces left in documents Ms. Chadwick has managed to create a story that brings Mahelt to life in a bold and vibrant way. She was not just a girl who followed her father's orders to marry then submitted to her husband - her strong personality comes through and is believable due to the writing.
Ms. Chadwick has a way of telling her stories that pulls me from my current surroundings and submerges me in the place of her tale. Her eye for detail AND storytelling is so good that you forget where and almost who you are and just join the characters in the book. It is almost disconcerting to put the book down and rejoin the real world. I am never bored when I am reading one of her books. I have one more on my shelf and one on my Nook and I just keep looking for the time to get to them!
If you are looking for a fantastic tale of a bold and intelligent woman from the medieval age grab up To Defy a King. But you might want to start at the beginning of the tale with The Greatest Knight which tells the tale of Mahelt's father, William Marshal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Defy a King.