Patty's Reviews > Altar of Bones

Altar of Bones by Philip Carter

Apr 16, 11

This mystery starts off at a run and never really slows down. I read this exciting and fast paced book in one sitting. This is a tale of what people have sought since the days of Ponce de Leon - a fountain of youth. But in the case of this story not everyone wants it for the good of mankind.

The book flashes back between three generations of women - the Keepers of the secret of the Altar of Bones. As the story progresses the mythology builds as the current Keeper, Zoe Dmitroff (our heroine) learns about her history and the importance of her role. Ry O'Malley (our hero) learned some horrifying history about his father at his death. Acts from his father's past have come forward send Ry's life into a tailspin. He uses all his training as an undercover DEA officer to delve into his father's secrets and to work with Zoe to - all together now - SAVE THE WORLD.

I did enjoy this book immensely. It kept me riveted and turning the pages as fast as I could. The mythology was a new one which was nice; Siberia is an interesting place to have chase scenes and the like. The protagonists also found trouble in San Francisco, Paris, Budapest and just about anywhere else they set foot. The Russian mafia, corrupt politicians (really?!) and megalomaniacs all had prominent roles in this fun read. There are also a few good guys. There must be balance. The hero and heroine were well enough fleshed out to make their romance believable and of course, there are several steamy sex scenes along with the threats of poking eyes out with stiletto knives.

If you are looking for a thrilling suspense novel with a novel bit of folklore at its center this would be the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Altar of Bones.