Suz's Reviews > A Perfect Blood

A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison

Feb 23, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in February, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Ok, so I finally finished it (like, right now). My initial, off the cuff thoughts - I'm tired of watching Rachel get put through the wringer with little to no happy, and lets be honest - Rachel gets a LOT of wringer. We're so close to the end of the series and I'm thinking the HEA we've been promised is going to be a fade-to-black kind of thing with us never getting to see the good bits that make you heave a deep sigh and want to hug the book. I want to have a Hollows book end in which I'm so happy for Rachel that I want to hug the damned book, not take a breath and feel like I need a vacation - or a therapist. I don't think one book in 10 like that is too much to ask for.

Next, what happened to Rachel while she was wearing that bracelet? Before she put it on she was a bad ass witch that had been studying with a bad ass demon and could sling some bad ass spells and had kind of left the earth magic pea shooter in the dust long ago. Suddenly she's back to relying completely on the pea shooter and she's too unprofessional to test the accuracy of a weapon she's never shot and she pilfered off of a failed assassin before she takes it into a field op? Since when? This is but one of several large holes in this particular book that made getting through it more difficult for me than usual with this series. Rachel is one of the baddest magic users around, she's one of a kind, she sees things nobody else does, and yet she lets anyone and everyone walk all over her and she's too much of a pussy to to hurt people who are trying to kill her. That trope is tired, retire it for god sakes.

A NEW villain? An entire group of well funded villains that are taking people away and we don't get to find out how that ended for Ivy? We spend an entire book watching the Ivy/ Glen romance and then get told instead of shown how it's blowing up as a cluster fuck? Not kewl.

It feels like a "Rachel is going to be alone forever" set up to me. The domestic arrangements with Ceri and Trent confuse me - and when it comes to alternative domestic arrangements I am a VERY difficult woman to confuse!

I'm sick of the dribbles here and there with Trent. Shit or get off the pot already. How many series do we have to watch people dance around each other for a damned decade?

What exactly was the purpose of Wayde and why in the hell did she put up with him for so long? More in the school of "who is this person and what did Kim Harrison do with Rachel Morgan?" And as long as we're on the subject, what happened to him at the end, after he got his head bashed in? Did he just get left in the lobby or did they finally send his stupid ass packing?

The book had all the standards we love. Jenks was foul mouthed, Rachel was hated and blamed by everyone and for everything, Jenks and Ivy jumped to Rachel's defense, Rachel bagged some bad guys, Rachel and Trent had a moment or two but nothing you could honestly make any kind of bank or bet on, or extrapolate anything significant from.

Not my favorite offering in the series. It felt scattered and unfinished to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Perfect Blood.

Comments (showing 1-19)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 19: by Tami (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tami I agree. I actually liked Wayde though. He was only trying to do his job, and Rachel was treating him like crap. So, she isn't helpless (which was NOT proven in this book.. At ALL... She gets beat down by a human, military man or not, after she gets her demon mojo back.. and all Trent had to do was punch the guy in the face? Seriously? Rachel is a wuss. powers or no.) The point Wayde was trying to make was that he notices things in her surroundings that she doesn't. And since someone ALWAYS gets the jump on Rachel because she doesn't pay attention, I think that was a good point. Ivy seemed more like a prop during this book. She had her part, but there was no depth. which was disappointing since she's one of my main characters. The only reason I have ever wanted to see Rachel with Trent is because I love Trent.. And since the book is written from Rachels POV, the only way to see that side of trent is through Rachel. I personally don't think she deserves him. Jenks was definitely foul mouthed, but not quite as funny as usual. Ceri and Trent confuse the heck out of me too, even though it's somewhat explained in the book. Maybe if there was more of Quen with Ceri, it wouldn't have been so confusing? IDK.

message 18: by Suz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suz Tami wrote: "The plot was interesting enough, but still seemed drawn out. It all seemed quite scattered to me too...."

That's kind of my final feeling with it, it just didn't feel as tight as previous offerings. I'm kind of tired of watching Rachel get kicked around without getting any happiness. Kim has made it pretty clear that an HEA is the harbinger of the end of the series so there isn't much else for us but watching Rachel get kicked around. I'm a bit bummed. I felt like she'd come to grips with doing "dark" magic in Black Magic Sanction and that she was wearing the bracelet to avoid all the drama that came with being exposed to the other demons. Then I open this book and it's about her accepting who she is. Wait...what? When did that happen? I thought we did this two books ago.k Maybe I should re-read them for a refresher.

I understand that putting the characters through the wringer is the way to keep the books interesting, but 10 books of Rachel getting kicked in the teeth with a total of about 10 minutes of good feelings (followed by...getting kicked in the teeth) has got me tired and depressed.

A couple of my friends went to two of her signings and she has confirmed the HEA will happen at the end of the last book. So essentially the next two books will be...Rachel getting kicked in the teeth.

Oh. Joy.

message 17: by Tami (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tami Rachel's always getting beat up because she's an idiot. lol.. She never seems to learn from her mistakes, at least not for very long. It took me till the 4th book to even like the series. If it wasn't for Jenks and Ivy, I never would have made it past book 1. Rachel has simply made my head hurt throughout the entire series. It's a shame to me when you read a series because you are more interested in characters who AREN'T the main character. Actually the only female that hasn't annoyed me in the slightest in any of the series' i've read was Mira in Dark Days. I was actually kinda bummed that nothing happened between Rachel and Marshall when he came by.. but oh well. This book was obviously just a filler for the next. Kind of like Dead Reckoning. (which was also disappointing). And Sookie is another one I'd like to slap the crap out of. Now that I've read 10 books, I really have no choice but to finish out the series. I only hope the last couple books are much better.

message 16: by Suz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suz Tami wrote: "Rachel's always getting beat up because she's an idiot. lol.. She never seems to learn from her mistakes, at least not for very long. It took me till the 4th book to even like the series. If it was..."

I didn't always feel this way about Rachel. I honestly thought I saw personal growth until recent installments, but yeah I agree she was always getting the crap beaten out of her. I always came off of one of these books feeling like I'd been emotionally beaten up myself and I kind of am tired of it. Discovering that there will be no books of getting to see Rachel happy, and that Rachel's HEA will signal the end, kind of killed it for me. I'm hoping I can find my motivation again but fear it's gone the way of my feelings for Sookie, too. The "yeah, I'll read it eventually but..whatever."

I'll tell you a heroine who I never liked and read the series for all the secondary characters and that was the Riley Jensen Guardian series by Keri Arthur. I didn't like Riley until the last book. I spent most of that series rolling my eyes at Riley and wondering why women write stupid women who think with their genitals.

But there's something to be said for the notion that something keeps us coming back.

April I don't really need to write a review of this book now, because this one says everything I was thinking! I was bored and frustrated to tears for the first two thirds of the book. What is it with Rachel just fumbling through every situation and feeling sorry for herself the whole book? And why, after all they've been through, is she still such a bitch to Trent? And the "I just can't kill anybody" and "Trent is a murderer" moral hang up is just so tired - she's been through enough to know there's no black and white. There's just no character growth with her, I liked her less in this book than I did in the first one.

message 14: by Suz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suz April wrote: "...I liked her less in this book than I did in the first one.
..."

April, sometimes I wish we just had a "like" button on posts and comments. It would make things easier. I would have "liked" your comment. :)

Trisha This book was so disappointing after PD. IDK about HEA in the sense of who Rachel with end up with but geez can she get her shit together? Pleez?

message 12: by Llsbear3 (new)

Llsbear3 Wayde seems like a decent guy. He should slap Rachel
silly and than go tell her father he quits.

message 11: by Suz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suz Trisha wrote: "This book was so disappointing after PD. IDK about HEA in the sense of who Rachel with end up with but geez can she get her shit together? Pleez?"

I wasn't the fan of PD that everyone else was. Everyone was heart throbbing over Trent and I'm STILL walkin' around thinking "Hello? The man dropped the arch on everyone's head - women, children, everyone!" His ultimate goal didn't soften my heart. I don't think he's got a right to choose which innocent bystanders should be collateral damage, it isn't romantic to me. And my memory is long enough to still hold a grudge against him for nearly every nasty thing he's ever done to Rach. I try to over look it, but then I think "why?"

message 10: by Suz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suz Llsbear3 wrote: "Wayde seems like a decent guy. He should slap Rachel silly and than go tell her father he quits."

We shall have to agree to disagree about Wayde, although I do agree that Rachel was a bit of a twit where he is concerned. I would have just canned him and sent him on his way instead of playing the game. I never quite understood why that went on as long as it did. They were not good together.

message 9: by Llsbear3 (new)

Llsbear3 Wayde was hired by her bio father which is why he was
around so long. I think he was in the book to give Trent
a little comp.

message 8: by Suz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suz Llsbear3 wrote: "Wayde was hired by her bio father which is why he was around so long. I think he was in the book to give Trent a little comp."

Yeah, I know who hired him. I'd have still sent him packing instead of playing those insipid little girl games with him. Either let the man do his job or send him home.

message 7: by Llsbear3 (new)

Llsbear3 The reason Rachel is always getting the crap beat out of
her is because she thinks she's the only one who can do
anything and she's is useally wrong.

message 6: by Suz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suz Llsbear3 wrote: "The reason Rachel is always getting the crap beat out of
her is because she thinks she's the only one who can do
anything and she's is useally wrong."

Wrong, like...quicken demon curses? Or, spot things other people don't see and that's why they come to her to begin with?

The reason she gets her ass kicked is because she listens to too many people who are quick to assume the worst of her and then she carries that stupid shit around in the back of her head and has to rebel against it to prove herself.

Most folks that are quick to have low opinions of other people are just avoiding their low opinions of themselves.

message 5: by Llsbear3 (new)

Llsbear3 Even though Rachel is the lead the stories are better
when there are more Jenks and Ivy and less Rachel.

message 4: by Llsbear3 (new)

Llsbear3 There should be a little More Jenks and a lot more Ivy,
as is PERFECT BLOOD is the worst in the series.

message 3: by Llsbear3 (new)

Llsbear3 As far as Miz Rachel is concern I would rather see her
end up with AL than Trent.

message 2: by Llsbear3 (new)

Llsbear3 It's time for demons to reproduce, since the elfs already are.

message 1: by Llsbear3 (new)

Llsbear3 Lets keep the stasis quo.